SIX YEARS AFTER: Aftershocks at more than twice usual quake rate since 2011 event

Submitted by Asahi Shimbun on
Translation Approval
Off
Media Type
Layer Type
Archive
Asahi Asia & Japan Watch
Latitude
0
Longitude
0
Location
0,0
Media Creator Username
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Media Creator Realname
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Frequency
Archive Once
Scope
One Page
Internet Archive Status
Not Submitted
Media Date Create
Retweet
Off
English Title
SIX YEARS AFTER: Aftershocks at more than twice usual quake rate since 2011 event
English Description

Temblors thought to be aftershocks of the Great East Japan Earthquake have rocked the Tohoku and Kanto regions at more than twice the pre-3/11 rate in the past year, according to the government’s Earthquake Research Committee.

Figures released by the committee on March 9 showed that 368 magnitude-4 or higher earthquakes occurred over the past year. That is more than double the number that occurred in 10 years before the 2011 disaster, when an annual average of 136 was recorded.

“Seismic activity still remains high and impacts wide areas,” said Naoshi Hirata, head of the committee and professor of seismology at the University of Tokyo’s Earthquake Research Institute.

“It is still more likely that earthquakes that can cause significant damage will occur. So be prepared and keep your guard up.”

According to the committee, 5,383 magnitude-4 or higher temblors occurred in the year immediately following the magnitude-9 Great East Japan Earthquake.

Although the frequency has decreased since then, between 245 and 368 quakes have occurred annually over the last three years.

Furthermore, magnitude-7 or higher major tremors have occurred once every year since 2011, except in 2015.

March 11 marks the sixth anniversary of the quake and the tsunami, which triggered a triple meltdown at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

* * *

Read other recent stories about the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami as well as the Fukushima nuclear disaster.

Miyagi coast, sea searched for 2,550 missing tsunami victims

Ghostly voice leads wife to handle grief by writing letters

Asahi survey: Disaster victims pessimistic over Olympics effect

3/11 tsunami banner evokes the unimaginable in Tokyo’s Ginza

Keeping foreign visitors safe the focus of Tokyo earthquake drill

Father, daughter grow closer through 100-km drives to school

Father lights up abandoned land in Fukushima for missing son

2 suns appear to be rising over a bay in Miyagi Prefecture

Poll: At least 20 years to regain lifestyle, half of Fukushima says

Abandoned satchels can’t be recovered due to nuclear disaster

4 more districts in Fukushima set to be declared safe to return to

Fukushima port welcomes fishing boats back for 1st time since 2011

60 percent say Fukushima evacuees bullied

Ugly river safety embankment draws ire of locals

70 unidentified tsunami victims reach official resting place

Haunting Miyagi symbol of 2011 tsunami gets a fresh paint job

Tsunami-hit hotel in Iwate continues to draw visitors

ID at Source
AJ201703100058
Flagged for Internet Archive
Off
URI
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201703100058.html
Attribution URI
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201703100058.html