Mystery woman makes hefty cash gifts to areas hit by 2011 disaster

Submitted by Asahi Shimbun on
Translation Approval
Off
Media Type
Layer Type
Archive
Asahi Asia & Japan Watch
Latitude
0
Longitude
0
Location
0,0
Media Creator Username
HIDEAKI ISHIBASHI
Media Creator Realname
HIDEAKI ISHIBASHI
Frequency
Archive Once
Scope
One Page
Internet Archive Status
Not Submitted
Media Date Create
Retweet
Off
English Title
Mystery woman makes hefty cash gifts to areas hit by 2011 disaster
English Description

A woman who apparently wishes to remain anonymous donated 10 million yen ($8,780) in cash to each of the three prefectures hardest-hit by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami disaster.

Authorities in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures said they were visited June 27 by a woman who said she wanted to help with reconstruction efforts and then handed over the cash in paper bags and left.

At each stop, she said, “I want you to use this (money) for reconstruction activities.”

Later, officials of the three prefectural governments got in contact to discuss the mystery visits and concluded that the same woman made the donations.

She first visited the office of the Iwate prefectural government in Morioka shortly before 1 p.m.

She approached staff at the general guide section, saying, “I want to make a donation.” Then, she went to the cashier’s bureau and handed over a confectionery bag containing brown envelopes.

A staff member tried to hand over a receipt. But the woman left, saying she could not miss her bus.

Upon realizing that a sizable sum had been offered, two staff members chased the woman but could not locate her. She looked to be in her 60s, officials of the Iwate prefectural government said.

Around 2:45 p.m., the woman visited the social welfare section of the Miyagi prefectural government in Sendai and handed over a paper bag containing 10 million yen.

Around 4 p.m., she visited the social welfare section of the Fukushima prefectural government in Fukushima and offered a confectionery bag that contained the same amount.

The prefectural governments of Miyagi and Fukushima plan to spend the sums on relief activities. The Iwate prefectural government intends to use the money for an educational fund for children orphaned by the disaster, and other disaster-related purposes.

ID at Source
AJ201707080026
Flagged for Internet Archive
Off
URI
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201707080026.html
Attribution URI
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201707080026.html